Modeling and Simulations for Next Generation Lithium-Ion Cells
The “Green Deal” as a primary goal of the European Commission for CO2 reduction has resulted in increased interest in high-fidelity models to accurately predict the behavior of state-of-the-art Li-Ion cells and beyond. Elaborate models of novel materials and material structures are thus paramount. High-fidelity models, such as Partial Differential Equations (PDEs), provide a means to accurately describe and predict the behavior of such cells, particularly when considering combined effects of different domains (chemical, electrical, mechanical and thermal), with a focus on degradation.
- State of the art study, recent trends in battery cell modelling and parameterization (e.g. for automotive applications)
- Reconstruct 3D-structure (porosity) of cells, via imaging and/or statistical information
- Application of multi-scale techniques, investigate and decide upon type of periodicity between levels of scale
- Implementation of a multi-physics model into a HPC environment includingo mechanical,o electrical,o thermal ando chemical transport effects
- Research degradation mechanisms and implement reasonable types of mechanisms to predict degradation
- Validate the developed models on the basis of measurement data
In the proposal for PhD funding, scientific institutions describe:
- The scientific ability and (if necessary) the required infrastructure to scientifically guide and supervise the PhD candidate
- The research plan and the focus for the advertised thesis
- The publication and dissemination plan
- The teaching plan (courses, trainings, etc.) for the doctoral studies
- Planned supporting master’s and bachelor theses
- Total costs of the PhD thesis as well as requested total amount of financial contribution from VIRTUAL VEHICLE (note: adequacy of costs is a major decision criterion)
- The application comprises the scientific CV or profile of the PhD candidate and the supervising professor at the scientific institution.
Please use our online contact form to send us your application.