14 Feb FFL4E
Future Freight Loco for Europe
1.5 m EUR · 09/2016 – 08/2019
Horizon 2020 · 7 partners
Bombardier, AVL, CAF, etc.
FFL4E (Future Freight Locomotive for Europe) aims at developing key technologies for future energy efficient freight locomotives, allowing highest operational flexibility and providing attractive and competitive rail freight services to the final customer.
The key elements of the project are: digitalisation, automation in train operation, energy-supplied freight wagons, advanced functionalities and increased productivity. The challenge is to take the freight locomotive to the next level by:
- improving the efficiency of propulsion systems with hybrid technologies and energy storage systems
- improving last mile concepts
- reducing LCCs, including wear
- enabling longer trains up to 1500 meters
- reducing emissions, including noise
- introducing driver advisory systems (DAS)
- enabling autonomous driving
To accelerate the development process, the FFL4E looks for additional knowhow to be brought in by Dynafreight project.